Monday, September 12, 2011

Two Sentence Tuesday--A Bit More Than Two

I'm still working on two separate manuscripts. Perhaps one day soon I'll devote my energy to one while the other rests, but for now two works.
My husband has been away for two weeks so I do the bulk of my writing at night. He'll be back in a few days, rumour has it, so my rhythms will probably change. Until that day I will continue working after dark.
Last week I put in an excerpt from The Font.  This week it's The Reluctant Psychopomp. Said soul guide has arrived to the death scene early and watches as her new client arrives:

" 'Oh, there's Mavis.' She turned and started a determined walk toward the door just as the clown was coming over to get a glass of something purple.
She wasn't watching. Bungles wasn't watching. She tripped over one of Bungles' huge shoes and struck her head on the cement floor of the arena."
#
I finished Lolita the other day. I hated to turn the last page because it meant Nabokov's delicious writing would end.
Here are two from Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, (Berkley Books, 1981):
'An invisible hag's claw slammed down an upper floor window.
In our hallway, ablaze with welcoming light,my Lolita peeled off her sweater, shook her gemmed hair, stretched towards me her two bare arms, raised one knee:
'Carry me upstairs, please. I feel sort of romantic to-night.' "
#
Thank you for your time. For more or to get in on the fun, please see the Women of Mystery.

5 comments:

messymimi said...

So you are a night person like the rest of my family -- that must be part of the secret of creativity.

It sounds like that client makes a rather dramatic exit.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, I've turned that way a bit.
I used to be a morning person, and still get up early. But the early morning writing appears to have deserted me. It may be temporary as the dark is lengthening.

Yup, death by clown.

the Bag Lady said...

Death by clown? Knowing how you feel about clowns, this doesn't surprise me!

Leah J. Utas said...

It was rather pleasing to make a clown an agent of death, Bag Lady.

Reb said...

I like your lines and the introduction to your lines :)