Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Two Sentence Tuesday-- Back in the Fanged Saddle

It's been a few weeks since I trotted out something from a manuscript. I've had a few false starts with a new story. I want to tell it, but it does not yet want to be told. Best I leave it be.
Late last week I sent A Fly on the Wall out to a beta reader. I'm looking forward to what he has to say.
This geared me up to check over BloodLovers. It's been stewing for a few months now. I cranked open the file the other day and realized it was in dire need of my attention.
I'm doing what I can.
Dead Broke has been sent to a few agents. One has a partial. I am forcing myself to be patient.
Work on AFOTW should keep me occupied until I have my beta's insights and editing marks.
This leaves my first, The Legend of Shallal. I don't know if it can be saved, but I won't have it put down either.
Best if I set it aside and try to forget.
Two from BloodLovers:
"The corners of his thin mouth were turned down like he had a mouthful of soured milk. It kept conversation to a minimum."
#
I have many, many books waiting to be read. This is a pleasant problem.
Right now I am enjoying Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories Volume 1, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.(Bantam Classics, 2003).
I read a few stories or a  novel in it then set it aside. I want to devour them all at once, but this way they'll last longer.
Two from The Five Orange Pips:
"We sat in silence for some minutes, Holmes more depressed and shaken than I had ever seen him.
'That hurts my pride, Watson,' he said at last."
#
Thanks for your attention.
For more or to get in on the action visit the Women of Mystery.





13 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Good luck with the reader and A Fly on the Wall. I've been following your progress on this story and am looking forward to its eventual publication. And some fine lines here this morning.

messymimi said...

Someday, i'm going to be able to order one of your books, and i can't wait. As for "Shallal", i do remember liking the lines you posted from it, and hope it resuscitates.

You've described the kind of guy i wouldn't want to talk to anyway in BloodLovers.

Holmes and i have a love/hate relationship, mostly love. Enjoy.

Leah J. Utas said...

David, thanks so much. It's good to know.

Messymimi, thank you. It's especially gratifying to know I've already got reader waiting.

Bossy Betty said...

Great and powerful lines!!

Reb said...

Down turned mouths tend to discourage a lot of things ;) Good lines.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Bossy Betty and Reb.

solarity said...

You have more than one reader ready and waiting.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Aww, Mary Anne. Thanks.

the Bag Lady said...

Ditto what Mary Anne said! (and everyone else, actually.)

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Bag Lady.

Frank Baron said...

Only because you're a pro do I dare offer a suggestion regarding your excerpt. Repeating "mouth" twice in the same sentence (albeit adding "ful" the second go-round) put me off a tad. How about something like: "The corners of his thin mouth were turned down like he'd just swallowed some sour milk."

Hope you get a few sniffs from those agents.

Leah J. Utas said...

Frank, you're absolutely right. Good catch. I was so close I didn't see it. I'll sort out a change. Thank you.

Pranavam Ravikumar said...

I loved your post! Have a great day.