Wednesday, April 29, 2015

An Alien Concept

I've made mention of my thinkythoughts from time to time here. At times they take over and I have to sit and let them have their way with me.
This has been happening with more frequency lately. Mostly they are about space, infinity, and are other worlds inhabited?
I'll tackle the last one first: of course they are.

This isn't about little green men or greys who abduct and experiment on humans, or reptiods who harvest us for their meals, or any other popular belief or convention on the subject.
It is about simple fact as I see it.

It's not like I have proof, but what I do have is my own version of logic and it is based on infinity.
If you've ever stopped a moment to consider what is beyond the known solar system, you'll know where I am going with this.
Space is infinite. It cannot end and neither can it begin as both require definite points. To help my puny human mind grasp this I've had to designate a definite point. I chose Earth.
No matter which direction we leave from we can travel forever simply because it cannot end.
Even if we got to the end of our galaxy we go into another one, and so on.
Let's say the end of the galaxies is a great big wall we can't get past.
What's the other side of it?
Nothing.
That's fine, but what is nothing and for how long does it go on?

It's overwhelming, dizzying even, to consider, so we give ourselves a galaxy or so to contend with and don't think much beyond it.
It makes sleeping at night easier.

This brings us to time. Where did it begin, how does it end? Can it?
So we have infinity: there has always been and there always will be.
Now we have Earth and all its creatures including us.
In vast unending reaches of time and space how can we be alone?
How can only one world out of endless possible worlds be the only one inhabited by intelligent life, or any life for that matter?
It may be easier to believe this, and if you do then good for you. Do as you need to live your life as you see fit.

This brings up God, for those who swing that way. It is often said that God is all powerful, is in charge of everything, and creates everything. God is purportedly unlimited.
If so, then how can we say the Earth is all there is? That limits God.
Further, we see ourselves as His best creation.
That is both arrogant and frankly, I would think from God's perspective, a little insulting.

The inhabitants of Planet Whatever may not be visiting us. It doesn't mean they don't exist, it means they don't visit.
Good for them.
If they do stop by, that's great.
If they choose to keep themselves hidden, who are we to say they are wrong?

Whatever is the case I say they exist.




10 comments:

Tabor said...

I do not know if I believe in God or even what "God" is, but I totally agree with your reasoning and understanding that your wrote in this post!

solarity said...

Infinity. Monkeys. Typing.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

DJan said...

I've been thinking about time and what it means lately, too. Our little brains cannot possibly take in the whole idea of time and space, but it's fun to try, isn't it? :-)

Dawn said...

Personally I think they re showing their superior wisdom in staying away! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Tabor, thank you.

Mary Anne, understood.

DJan, it's fun in the dizzying way and a great way to stretch the mind.

Dawn, good point.

juniper66 said...

I have always believed that we were not alone. Anything that is not from this world is considered "alien" not necessarily green or grey or huge insect or reptilian things. I've always thought that we are naïve if we thought that we were the only ones that took space in this vast universe. And if the "aliens" did plant us here, then they are far more advanced then us and deserve to be thought of as "gods". :)

Leah J. Utas said...

June, I'm not sure they ought to be considered gods, but they are certainly more advanced than us.

messymimi said...

Isaac Asimov wrote a book about possibilities of alien life. It was interesting.

Yes, i believe there is more in this universe than we have seen or ever can see.

And as Calvin, of Calivin and Hobbes, said, there is life elsewhere and it proves its intelligence by staying away from us.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, I must look for Asimov's book.
Great Calvin quote.

Unknown said...


Life is a battle, if you don't know how to defend yourself then you'll end up being a loser. So, better take any challenges as your stepping stone to become a better person. Have fun, explore and make a lot of memories.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net