Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Good Writing Weather

The wild wind banked and sculpted snow. Above, it made a snow shelf jutting off the house roof.


The one good thing about this spring blizzard we’ve been enjoying is I’ve gotten plenty of writing done.
Storms are good writing weather. I was hunched over my keyboard lost in trying to make my memoirs interesting to someone other than me as the as the wind howled down the street. Snow fell from the sky and rose from the ground and sometimes I looked out the window and couldn’t see the house across the street.
It allowed me to be insular. It works for me.

After two good days of writing I decided to destroy. I had two grocery bags worth of documents I’d been meaning to get rid of for a few years. Old manuscripts, car repair receipts from 1995, all my pay slips from the newspaper.

It’ll go to recycling as soon as it’s safe to venture out again, but first some of it had to be shredded.
I spent a few happy hours feeding the shredder. About a grocery’s bags worth of paper stayed intact. The other bag’s worth were shredded and multiplied into five bags of paper.
Theses were documents with our address, full names, and all the good stuff smart people need to become us if they wish. I think the chance is slim, but it’s still a chance and I’m not going to take it.

The storm broke yesterday afternoon. The sun shone. The wind still blew but it made some bare spots so the juncos went back to it bopping along the ground for their junco treats.
My husband baked cakes Monday and Tuesday and I wrote and shredded. It’s a good way to spend a spring storm.

12 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

The Bag Lady loves to shred paper! She's a shred-aholic. The Cowboy loves it, too. Just have to keep him from shredding something important.

Leah J. Utas said...

It's fun to destroy. Must remember the shredder is not a toy and to only use it when necessary.

Hilary said...

I love the picture of the window. At first I thought it looked like sheer curtains blowing about.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks Hilary. I was running out of ways to show the weather. I thought the show shelf was really kind of cool.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I wouldn't mind a spring storm to keep me home, as long as it didn't cause damage. Then I could get caught up on home stuff without feeling like I was falling behind at the office.

Leah J. Utas said...

That's one of the few things a spring storm is good for, Bunnygirl.

Reb said...

Love the photo of the snow sculpture Leah! I am glad you got lots done and had some fun with your shredder too. Mine died awhile back, so you can imagine how big a pile I've got going now! That will be next months purchase, I hope.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Reb. Glad you liked the photo.
As much as I love to shred I wish I could burn it instead. Seems cleaner. But at least this way the paper gets made into something else.

Frank Baron said...

That does it. I'm buying a shredder. I've wanted one since forever because they just look like so darn much fun but couldn't justify spending money for yet another toy. (I have enough fishing equipment to stock a store.)

But now...yes indeedy...protection against identity theft...that's the ticket!

Thanks Leah. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Glad I could be of help, Frank.
Enjoy the destruction.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I agree -- storms, very cold temps, a lot of snow (not that we get much snow here in winter these years) are all perfect writing weather. Just feels so snug to hunker down in the house and write, write, write while it's snowing / blowing / thundering outside! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, that's exactly it, Thomma Lyn.