Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Sword Pen For Hire

I was recently to paid to write.

It felt good.

The editor of the local paper approached me a few months back with the idea of doing some freelance work. He didn’t really ask. I saw him in a parking lot and he invited me to drop by the paper for coffee that afternoon. I did. Once I got there he greeted me with, “There’s my new freelancer!”

It made me smile. We’d worked together years earlier there and are known commodities to one another. He took over the position last year when the editor and co-owner dropped dead.

This arrangement works for both of us. He gets copy from me and I get money, a reason to get out and about, and a whole new set of shiny fresh publication credits. They’ll be awfully handy when I start peddling my manuscript(s) to publishers again. My old reporting credits were getting a wee bit shopworn after lo these seven years.

I feel good doing it. Physically I feel more energy flowing through me and I think my mental process have kicked up a gear or so. I’ve got a few more ideas to play with and it’ll keep me occupied for a bit.
Best of all, beyond the money and the publication credits and the energy, is knowing that the more I write, the more I will write.

10 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Good for you! It must feel good to be earning money again for doing something you enjoy. And to do it freelance is so much better than being chained to the paper...

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, freelance is better. I only do the stories I actually want to do.

Reb said...

Congratulations Cousin! I know how much you like to write and to be paid for it again must be rewarding.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Reb. Payment is good.

Clare2e said...

Congratulations, Leah! I not only envy your getting paid to write, (apparently you've created one of those pesky things with your old editor known as a good track record), but I know with the stuff you've written here that you're going to contribute great pieces.

Don't forget to put links up if you're able. I know I'd love to read them. Terrific to get paid for something you enjoy and have talent for!

P.S. I can see I need to strategize on where the NYC book acquisition editors park their cars and try to engineer a casual meeting. Perhaps I can trip them on the subway platforms?

Terrie Farley Moran said...

df Leah,

Wonderful news! I second Clare please link when possible.

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Clare2e, and what kind words about my skills.
It hadn't occurred to me to post any available link, but I certainly will.

dfTerrie - Thank you for seconding the kindness.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes! links please!!!

Frank Baron said...

Congrats Leah. Freelancing is a great way to fine-tune your literary chops AND put some beer in the fridge.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Holly.

Hello Frank - Ah, literary chops and beer. My favourite.