Monday, June 29, 2009

Gratitude Monday - Moose Edition

A cow moose and her calf.


We took off for a quick weekend getaway on Saturday. We drove down the Icefields Parkway then went south through Banff National Park to Kootenay National Park and beyond.
It was a lovely drive and very relaxing. We soaked in the healing waters of Radium Hot Springs and spent a quiet night at a motel in Skookumchuk, BC.
The place has a lovely feel to it and who can resist that name?
If you're curious, Skookumchuk is a Chinook word that means strong or turbulent current.
It was good to get away for a mini-vacation and to see something different. Change is good.
But more than anything else I am grateful to the mother and baby moose for showing themselves. I've passed by this muskeggy lake many dozens of times. I've always said it needed a moose. On Saturday I got two of them.


ETA: I originally left out the first "k" in my first reference to Skookumchuk. Sorry for any confusion.

8 comments:

carla said...

In an 100% nonsarcastic way I now wanna start calling my daughter Sookumchuk.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - have I mentioned how jealous I am that you went to Radium? It's lovely there.

Love the mooses, tooses.

Leah J. Utas said...

Carla, I'm sure Skookumchuk would be honoured. We already use it as a term of endearment.

dfBag Lady, I suspected you might be. It was good to go for a soak. I feel so much better.
Glad you like the moose.

Reb said...

How lovely! I am still envious that you got to soak in the waters at Radium though ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

I shall consider your envy a compliment, Reb.

Hilary said...

Oh so beautiful.. you got more than one moose.. you got meese!

Leah J. Utas said...

Yep. We were meesed. I must be careful what I say as there's a local family with that surname.

Barbara Martin said...

Mini-vacations away from home locations are always good to refresh the soul, and your creativity.

Momma moose looks to be in good shape after a spring feed. The calves are always cute with their too big ears and long legs.

I can just picture how relaxed you were in the pool at Radium.

Whenever I visit your blog I think how nice it would be to live in or near Rocky Mtn House, to be so close to the mountains.