Monday, June 8, 2009

Gratitude Monday – Still Laughing

Laughter is one of life’s pleasures. It’s important to overall good health. I’d back that up, but that involves something called “research” and I am more than lazy.
I love to laugh and I am grateful that I can. I think it is what keeps us sane and it can defuse a nasty situation.
It’s also a pleasant way to spend time. What would you rather do, laugh or fume?

This brings me to my point: Fawlty Towers. We bought the complete set the other day and have watched two of the 12 episodes.
Even though I have seen them several times over I still laugh. I know what’s coming and I smile in anticipation. I laugh as hard or harder now than I did when I first saw them back in the mid-70s.
The shows are familiar enough just hearing “You naughty, naughty moose”(ep. The Germans) or “Brahms Third Racket” (ep. A Touch of Class) sets me off.

So, thank you John Cleese and Connie Booth for writing one of the smartest, funniest, and most enduring shows ever.

10 comments:

MizFit said...

O
M
G
how hard I forgotten about that show?

My parents love all things British and introduced me to it ages ago.

Love John Cleese.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I love British humor!

(A personal favorite: Ab Fab. I know lots of people disliked it because it was so outrageous, but for some reason it always cracked me up!)

Thanks for the reminder of another thing to be grateful for!

Leah J. Utas said...

MizFit, if you've forgotten, then all the more reason to fire up a dvd and remember.

Crabby, I love British humor, too. And I got a kick out of AbFab. I can watch Are You Being Served over and over and over and still love it.
Ah, to see Please, Sir; Father, Dear Father; and something with Sidney James and Diana Coupland comes to mind (Bless This House?)but I can't recall the title right now; and Doctor in the House and ... I'd better stop.

the Bag Lady said...

I'm ashamed to admit I don't recall much about Fawlty Towers. Must get a dvd and have a look.

I do agree with you about laughter, though!

Leah J. Utas said...

Then it'll be fresh and new, df Bag Lady. All the more enjoyable.

Missicat said...

Nothing like British comedy! Also love Ab Fab & The Vicar of Dibley. And of course Father Ted!

Leah J. Utas said...

Missicat, ahh, another fan. I've never seen The Vicar of Dibley or Father Ted. Something new to check out.

Reb said...

John Cleese is so darned funny, I haven't seen Fawlty Towers in a long time, but I still watch "Are you Being Served?" whenever it is on.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, me too Reb. AYBServed? was on Mondays at 8 on PBS for the longest time. Mr. Humphries is my favourite TV character ever.

Barbara Martin said...

Dry British humour. Thanks for the nostalgia. John Cleese was always hilarious.