Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Two Sentences or So on Tuesday

I spent most of last week reading. It felt good to laze in the sun with a book for company, and the neighbour’s pussycats were always ready to lend a paw during the hard parts.
Among the treasures I had the pleasure of getting to know was the one quoted below.
I love Edgar Rice Burroughs. From Tarzan to John Carter and everything in between he spun a good yarn and kept his protagonist in mortal peril until the very end.

Two sentences I read:

“The water was warm and had an unpleasant taste. The best that might be said of it was that it was wet.”

-The Land of Hidden Men by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ace Books, 1978 (copyright 1931, McCall Company, Renewed 1959) Original title: Jungle Girl.


I spent more time reading than writing, but still managed a bit. Here’s a little something from A Fly on the Wall:


“Won’t know ‘til we give it ago.”
“Uh oh.” Dottie Phelbos always worried when Mrs. Ingetuckle inadvertently rhymed. It was never good.


For more, or to find out how to participate, please see the Women of Mystery.

15 comments:

Missicat said...

Great quotes....thanks for sharing.
Kitties and books and sun...what a great week!

Leah J. Utas said...

Hello Missicat, thanks.

Reb said...

Great sentences. Inadvertent rhyming is something to be feared!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Reb. Makes me turn and run.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - great quotes. Edgar Rice Burroughs is wonderful.

I love the names of your characters - can't wait to get to know them better!

Leah J. Utas said...

df Bag Lady, thanks. Naming characters is half the fun.
Burroughs is a favourite. You know you'll be entertained.

Penny said...

Hi Leah! I've never read any ERB (as I'm sure he isn't known) but I'll definitely add him onto my list of summer reads. Any tips on a good place to start?

TA x

Thomma Lyn said...

It's always a good thing when kitties are willing to lend a paw during rough spots in books. Mine even like to nibble on books when it suits them. ;)

hehe @ your sentence. I have a feeling that your novel is very good -- and very funny. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Tokaiangel, he's a perfect summer read. If nothing else, read Tarzan. Not sure of the proper name of the first in the series, but I'm sure you'll sort it out.
I've read five or six in his John Carter of Mars series and find them very exciting.

Thomma Lyn, I am so grateful that the kitties next door are so helpful. They make sure to block all the bad parts for me, too.
Thanks for the support. I'm sure Mrs. Ingetuckle will be pleased.

Lois Karlin said...

I'm so jealous. At least I can see sun and green from my office window. Love the rhyming bit...I'll have to watch myself.

Leah J. Utas said...

Sun and green goes a long way, Lois.

Thanks.

Barbara Martin said...

Inadvertent rhyming is the sign of a good writer. Your story is coming along nicely, teasing us with two sentences at a time. Well done.

The Edgar Rice Burroughs books are an all time favourite with me. I grew up with them as did my late mother.

Leah J. Utas said...

Barbara, I'd never heard that about rhyming. Thanks.
Good to hear from another Burroughs fan.

Clare2e said...

I'm an inadvertent alliterationist, which is why I adore the Eminent Ingetuckle.

Leah J. Utas said...

Nice one, Clare2e.