Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Twofer Tuesday and a Photo

A pair of red-winged blackbirds decorate the edge of a lake.


Another wonderful week of getting some reading done and even a bit of writing. It’s not as much writing as I’d thought, but in the great scope of the world that hardly matters.
I read this:

“The faintness of the voice was pitiable and dreadful. It was not the faintness of physical weakness, though confinement and hard fare no doubt had their part in it.”
-A Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens. (Dent: London Everyman’s Library, Dutton: New York, reprinted 1964)

My efforts over the past few days put toward A Fly on the Wall:

“A nice mirror, my love. For the bedroom?”
Mora stared at him. “You want a mirror like this in the bedroom? Are you reading those magazines again, Sid?”


For more, or to find out how to participate, please see the Women of Mystery.

17 comments:

David Cranmer said...

This may sound silly for a writer to say but I tend to forget how really magnificent Charles Dickens was. Maybe it's my over familiarity with his work and the countless movies and TV adaptations I've seen. Thanks for reminding me.

And I'm looking forward to the completed Fly.

Leah J. Utas said...

David, there's nothing silly about it. He really was something and his works hold up through time.

And thanks for your kindness re: mine.

the Bag Lady said...

Good lines, cousin! I need to read more. This time of year is so busy.

Love the photo, too. We've had red winged blackbirds at our feeders this spring - first time I've ever seen them at a feeder.

Leah J. Utas said...

Why thank you, cousin. Lucky you getting them at the feeder. It's odd, but we had one stop in the yard once so anything is possible.

Scott D. Parker said...

Since the beginning of the year, I've been in a Dickens mood. It's inspired my current WIP. [Wink] And I want to know what kind of mirror Mora has...

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, Scott, it's a very special mirror.

Scott D. Parker said...

[Salivating] Oh, wow! With renewed interest, I long for more.

Clare2e said...

I love Dickens and his deft characterizations.

I think the complete Fly is going to have quite a few characters of note itself.

Leah J. Utas said...

Scott, I hope it will not disappoint.

Clare2e, thanks. It's got plenty of characters. I hope they're noteworthy.

Reb said...

"...those magazines..." made me laugh, can't wait to read more.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Reb. Glad you got a kick out of it.

Dr. J said...

I like Dickens, and the beginning of "Tale" is one of those passages that sticks in my thoughts.

Thank you!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Dr. J., for stopping by.

Redbush said...

Great quotes, Leah! I hope you're finding lots of time to do your reading, and writing. Enjoy the day!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Redbush. I do as I can.

Barbara Martin said...

I have long been a fan of Charles Dickens, his style unequal to others.

Your two lines are brilliant teasers once again. I look forward to reading Fly in its entirety.

Leah J. Utas said...

Barbara, your words give me a lift to continue. Thank you.