Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blooming Buckbean

Buckbean


This is one of my favourite plants. It grows in wetlands and looks so very happy. I found this buckbean along a boardwalk at Twin Lakes. The boardwalk goes out over a wet area to some raised ground. This outcropping has some benches and trees and on the side opposite the boardwalk there's a floating dock.
It's a fine spot to visit on a warm day. It has pleasant energy, it's a good thinking spot, and if nothing else one can sit and watch the fish jump.
In a good year there are frogs in the wetland, many more plants, and water that comes up over the boardwalk to tease your feet as you walk. Not this year.
I hardly saw any buckbean and even less of the other plants. But there were some and I spent a wonderful half-hour or so sitting near the trees getting my head clear and refreshed for writing. It's a good way to spend the time.

12 comments:

MizFit said...

I was just talking to my husband last night about a specific place I feel I need to go and visit to get my head all refreshed for writing.

I need to realize these places are all around me and not always gotten to by plane.

David Cranmer said...

My property borders the wetlands but we don't have this Buckbean... sounds like a great spot to meditate.

Leah J. Utas said...

MizFit, they're right under our noses, hiding in plain sight. Hope your find yours.

David, I'm sure you have many wonderful plants we can only dream about here.
The spot is a great place to just be.

Reb said...

Lovely flower Leah. It sounds almost idyllic there.

Leah J. Utas said...

It pretty much is, Reb. Glad you like buckbean. There's something so happy and peaceful about them.

Redbush said...

What an excellent way to spend a relaxing time, Leah! Love the photo. I'm mesmerized by wild plants and streams, too. I could sit by a stream for hours just listening to the rushing water and watching the birds come and go around me.

the Bag Lady said...

What a pretty plant!
I love to refresh and rejuvenate beside water, too. In fact, I feel the need to do that now, after our whirlwind trip!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sounds like a great thinkin' spot!

I have some great spots that are perfect for reflection; problem is using them for the right kind of thinking. Turning off the chatter is getting harder these days.

Leah J. Utas said...

Redbush, it's one of the best uses of time. On the downside I have/get/whatever acoustic phenomenon which is the fancy term for hearing voices or songs or what-have-you in certain noises like the babbling of a brook or the hum of a fan. I love a rushing stream, but I keep trying to figure out what's being said.

dfBag Lady, it sure is. I recommend a quiet moment or so beside some water. It does wonders.

Crabby, I totally get it about turning off the chatter. It likes to take over.

Hilary said...

Sounds like a perfect place to spend some time... but agree with Crabby and you about the chatter. It can have too much static.

Barbara Martin said...

Leha, I saw these when I lived out west and never knew what they were.

Nature is perfect for rejuvenating tired souls.

Leah J. Utas said...

It is, Hilary.

Barbara, my husband has degrees in forestry and botany. That's how I know.
Nature is the best for rejuvenating.