Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Fave Five Addictions - Meme

Thistles in the sun.

I took up this challenge from Reb at Sibu Pegasus Power who issued it to persons sporting a “J” in their real names.
It’s my middle initial and I use it publicly. No way to pretend it ain’t there.
The meme is simple. I am to list five current addictions.

Here they are:


1. Writing – I’ve been hooked on it since I learned the alphabet. It’s to the point that I get weak and shaky- and sometimes mean-if I go to long without it.
2. Photography – I can go long periods without it, but I eventually need a fix. I can get by with a point and shoot, but I didn’t realize how much I missed using a camera with adjustable lenses, shutter, aperture, and ISO until a few months ago. I was used to a 35mm Nikon FM. I now have a Pentax K20D with 18-250mm lens. It feels good to play again.
3. Bacon – I love it. I have for as long as I can remember. I’ve switched to beef or bison bacon with the occasional foray into turkey bacon. It’s all good. I write better when I’ve eaten bacon.
4. Sweets –I have low blood sugar. I get weak and shaky–and mean-if I am deprived of sweets, especially chocolate.
5. The stars and the early morning– I have to go out in the early morning and see the constellations. I feel the best when I’ve seen Orion and followed it to Taurus and the Pleiades. In summer when the sun is up early I often miss out on the stars, but the early morning stillness more than makes up for it.


Under the rules of engagement I am to entice two others to play along.
I’ll leave that open for anyone who wants to join the fun.


P.S. Thanks, Reb. I enjoyed playing.


They have their own beauty.

10 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Ah, yes, we have similar addictions! (Mostly the bacon, though!)
Good post, dfLeah.

Leah J. Utas said...

I've left it open, df Bag Lady. Now you can play, too!
Oh, my, bacon...

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh yes, I am addicted to both writing and to photography! But wow, you're way ahead of me on photography skill. I'm a point and shoot gal. But I sure do enjoy it! :)

I love the stars, too. And the moon.

I might play along with this here in a few days! Looks like fun. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Nothing wrong with point and shoot, TL. I'm still using the auto setting on my Pentax most of the time although I've had adequate results manually adjusting the settings.

I'm looking forward to your responses. Seems to me you had a meme the other week that interested me. I'll look it up later and maybe do it today.

Anonymous said...

No J in my name, but let's just pretend :)

1. Reading - ever since I learned the alphabet, I've had a book in my hand. And I often walk down the street reading on my way to work, or my way home.

2. Sunlight - I really start to miss the sun around January-March. It definitely affects my mood, and when the sun's out, I have a lighter step and a higher head.

3. Television - apparently I didn't get interested in tv or movies until the age of 5 or 6, even though my parents wanted time to talk. I'm making up for it now. During the regular season, I probably record about 30 shows a week to watch whenever I'm home.

4. Puzzles - word puzzles, number puzzles, all those I do before I go to sleep at night, or on facebook, or while watching tv. I also consider cross-stitch a puzzle (you should see these patterns they make, they're a serious puzzle to figure out sometimes!).

5. Staying connected - email, text, phone, going out with friends. Need on a regular basis.

Leah J. Utas said...

LG - Nice to see you here. Thanks for playing. Oh, totally agree with needing the sun.

Reb said...

Thanks for playing Leah. Oh, I love bacon, I have tried turkey, but I should check out some bison.

Leah J. Utas said...

My pleasure, Reb. The local Co-op makes a lovely beef bacon. The bison is good too, but tends to be chewier than the beef.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

df Leah,

These are cool. I'm with you on 1, 3 and 4. but I am not good with cameras and I like my stars late at night (not quite your early morning.

Now I have to run over and see what Reb said. (I'm so nosey.)

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks df Terrie. Bacon tends to be a popular choice, and you still like stars. We agree on many things.