Tuesday, September 2, 2008

If Today Were A Flower…

If today were a flower would it bloom or wither?

Would you care for it and love or would you callously step it as you go about your day, never giving it another thought?
Would you look at it and bend down to inhale its sweet, subtle fragrance?
Would you look at it deeply? Or would you reach down and snap it off at the base because it was in your way?
If you carelessly trod on it would you stop and apologize and gently right it? Or would you keep going to do your important business?

If today were a flower in your path would you appreciate it for what it is or would you demand to know why it hasn’t produced any seed for you yet?
Would it be pretty enough for you? Would it measure up to your idea of what a flower is?
Or would you pick it and take it inside and put it in a vase for your own personal enjoyment until it died?
If today were a flower would you be satisfied with it? Or would you long for it to be a different flower?
If today were a flower, what would you do?


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yesterday I drove a distance so that my Toddler could play in big dirt mounds (shes in a weird stage or saying, when we're driving, LOOK AT THE DIRT. I.Want.To.Touch.It.)

inexplicably in the MIDDLE of the mound was a huge thriving daisy.

Im embarrassed to say my first instinct (cringe) was to PICK IT.

to selfishly take all the beauty home for ME (ok us. but still).

I had entirely forgotten that urge until reading your post.

I pray todays flower is a stargazer lily. filled with scent & shades of pink.

Leah J. Utas said...

Mizfit, I loved to play in the dirt too. I miss it.
Enjoy your stargazer lily day.

Reb said...

What a great way to look at each day. Unfortunately I think today is going to be hard work and hurting! I am helping my friends with their front yard...shoveling rock!

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, you'll be out in the fresh air getting some exercise. Does that help?

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - today is going to be a daylily - blooming quickly and gone tomorrow. I have so much to do that the day will fly by....

Leah J. Utas said...

Good to have you back, dfBag Lady. Days are like that.

Leah J. Utas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hilary said...

Great analogy, Leah. I can't say that I have an answer for this particular day, but I sure am enjoying the scent of this season.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Hilary. And I'm happy tod know you are enjoying it.

Polly Kahl said...

I love your little reminders to stop, breathe and enjoy the day. Your pictures are lovely as usual, too. I had a blue bell day and can't wait to see what kind of flower day I'll have tomorrow.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much, Polly. I hope tomorrow is great for you.

Thomma Lyn said...

Just got back from a wonderful Harley ride in the sunshine and the air from the open road, and I'd say I had a sunflower day! :)

Erin said...

I know this is an older post but it really struck me and was something I needed to read. Just wanted to thank you.