Monday, June 21, 2010

Gratitude Monday--Bobbing Along Edition



It was a glorious Sunday. The last day of spring. We spent it as we've spent many a Sunday morning lately. Fishing.
The small lake we've been going to is not much bigger than a pond. It's in a hollow beyond a hay field. It's safe, protected, and often still.
An osprey guards it and has a nest high atop a spruce tree along the wooded south shore.
We hear birds call, a family of ducks patrols the south, a loon nests along the west edge.
Fish jumped. Huge ones and small ones and many in between.
We tried fly fishing, I did some regular casting, and we trolled along as we let the canoe take us where the lake's current thought we should be.
They taunted us, these trout, with their jumps and twists. It was their home and they called the shots.
We were just happy to be out on the lake.

15 comments:

David Barber said...

Wow! What a perfect picture you painted with your words and the photo. Sound like the ideal Sundat to me, Leah.

David Barber said...

That should of said "Sunday". God, I wish I could spell....

carla said...

and I forgot it was the last day of spring yesterday.
it been in the 100s for so long here...it feels already like the proverbial dog days of summer.

Leah J. Utas said...

David, thank you for your kind words about my words.

Carla, your weather sounds brutal. I don't know how anyone gets through that kind of heat.

Tabor said...

We also got taunted by fish on Sunday Father's Day. Out in a large estuary and say osprey being much more successful.

Leah J. Utas said...

Tabor, we could learn from the osprey.

messymimi said...

Some days, the fish just have to show us who is in charge.

Still sounds like a beautiful day.

Leah J. Utas said...

They left no doubt, Messymimi. It really was idyllic.

the Bag Lady said...

Sounds like the perfect way to spend a Sunday! Especially if you didn't actually catch any fish! :)

David Cranmer said...

Serenity now has arrived.

Leah J. Utas said...

dfBag Lady, it was great. I would like to catch a fish or two, but it works fine without.

David, yep.

Writing Without Periods! said...

Oh, I'm so mad. I always miss the last day of spring. Love the photo.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Mary. How about you celebrate the first day of summer twice to make up for it?

Reb said...

Sounds like a great day and I wouldn't have minded not catching anything either.

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, it was. Much as I like the taste of fish, I'm okay with them ignoring me.