Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tuesday Offerings- Begin Again Edition

Cold and rigid, like my WIP.

It's Two Sentence Tuesday time and I'm back with a bit of work.
Last week I didn't play along, not even at home, because I was a bit played out from getting a manuscript ready for betas. A Fly on the Wall is in their tender hands now. All I can do is wait. And write something else, of course, to keep my mind off it.

I'd set aside my current WIP some time ago to concentrate on AFOTW. By the time I dusted off the file again Dead Broke was cold and rigid.
I re-arranged a few things and it helped. Then I decided I needed to start over so I killed off three of the four chapters one morning. Later than day I resurrected them. I realized my approach had been wrong all along and I needed to back up and change perspective. Some bits in the chapters could be made to fit.
I've done a bit of writing on it, but mostly I've been thinking and sometimes rubbing my hands together as I giggle maniacally over an idea.

Ahh, it's good to be creating again.

From Dead Broke:

"The last bit out loud was clearly for my benefit. The carp tipped his fedora to me and swam away."

I spent many an hour on my deck these last few days enjoying the sunshine and a good book. The book is Elizabeth Hay's Late Nights on Air. It's set in the mid-70s at a radio station in Yellowknife, NWT. Hay brings the station, the people, and the north alive in her book and I found it captivating.
Two sentences:
"But she discovered soon enough. The enmity of newsmen is no small thing."
- McClelland & Stewart, Emblem Edition (2009)
#
Thanks so much for reading me. Two Sentence Tuesday is the brainchild of the Women of Mystery. Slip on over there for more.

12 comments:

messymimi said...

Love the idea of a carp tipping his fedora. I'm glad you are feeling your muse again.

Hay is right, too. Newsmen make dangerous enemies. Unfortunately.

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, Hay sure called that one, Messymimi. Thanks, It's good to be in the creative stream again.

Nancy said...

I envy you all that writing energy actually turning into a book. As for the Yellowknife book - I am hooked on Ice Road Truckers, who go to Yellowknife each winter to ferry supplies over frozen lakes. I can well imagine that book being a good one.

Redbush said...

I wish I had your knack for words, Leah! I'm sure the chapters are great now, as they probably already were before you refurbished them!

Writing Without Periods! said...

Great photo, wonderful writing. Thanks.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

The author really captured northern Canada, Nancy.
Thanks.

Redbush, thank you for your kindness. The chapters I excused were adequate, but they don't fit what I am doing.

Mary, thanks so much.

the Bag Lady said...

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle.....

I don't know what is going on with blogger, but this post didn't show up until now. Sigh.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, df Bag Lady.

Barbara Martin said...

Carps tipping hats has my curiousity up. Nice lines, Leah.

Leah J. Utas said...

Then my work here is done, Barbara. Thanks.

David Cranmer said...

On your deck with a good book. Life is good.

Leah J. Utas said...

It sure is, David.