Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A View from a Hill


This is the hill above Fort Assiniboine, Alberta. It's been cut down some over the years and the bottom curve's been smoothed out, but those are minor changes.
It's still the hill I rode down every morning when I went to school and the hill we took to get anywhere that requited going through the Fort.

Something about this descent calms me. I look out over the vast green forest, gaze at the sure steady flow of the Athabasca River, and let my eyes rest on the faraway rise to the south and it could be any year, any season.
Time has ceased.
I am any age and every age, but mostly I am young again. As I look out over this scene and into the village I am reminded that anything is possible.

11 comments:

David Cranmer said...

"Time has ceased." That's a good place to be.

Leah J. Utas said...

David. Thanks. No time is a good place in time.

messymimi said...

A place where you can touch eternity. Beautiful.

the Bag Lady said...

Strangely, I feel the same way when I drive down that hill.... I go back in time.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, that's exactly it.

DfBag Lady, I wondered if anyone felt the same.

Writing Without Periods! said...

What a beautiful place.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Mary.

Barbara Martin said...

A picture worth a thousand worda. Peaceful with greenery stretching to the horizon.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Barbara.

Nancy said...

I know that feeling.

Cheryl Kohan said...

What a beautiful landscape. I haven't been to Canada for years and I am going to insist that we get our passports ASAP. You Canadians are posting way too many good photos...gotta see what's up there!