Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Two Sentence Tuesday -- A Great Read

What a great read.
I've just finished reading Invisible Boy by Cornelia Read. It was witty, passionate, gripping, taut, and sad all at the same time.
I generally don't read murder mysteries although I do enjoy them. This one came to me through a contest held by the gracious and talented Women of Mystery. I am so tickled my name was drawn.
I'd been looking forward to it since I won several months ago, but there were books ahead of it so it waited patiently on the TBR pile.
I am so glad it's number came up.

Two sentences:
"I finally slept okay, considering.
Dean woke up at dawn, his circadian rhythm still governed by some lingering neurochemical trace of childhood heifers and cornfields."
-Invisible Boy, Cornelia Read (Grand Central Publishing 2010)
#

As for me, well, yes I've been writing. I changed my approach on Dead Broke after realizing I needed another major character and that it required, at least for now, a prologue.
The problem is my new character doesn't want to do anything. She didn't do much alive and she is reluctant to change now that she's dead.


I am trying to forge ahead in hopes that she will blossom. I am sure she wants to.

Here are two from the prologue:

"The Guild Mother crossed the name off her list.
"We did as we could. Miracles are up to someone else."
#
Thanks for being here. For more or to get in on the fun please see the Women of Mystery.

13 comments:

Tabor said...

I admire those who actually do write a book, even if their characters are uncooperative.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Tabor. I'm hoping she comes around soon so we can move along.

Laura K. Curtis said...

I love the way you described her--didn't do much alive, doesn't want to change things now that she's dead! You have to put that in somewhere.

Laura K. Curtis said...

(your "mybloglog" is really slowing down the load of the page today--took a full 3 minutes to load for me--so you might want to temporarily disable it until they get it fixed!)

Leah J. Utas said...

Laura, thank you. I will make every effort to keep it.

Thanks for the tip. I wondered what was making it so slow. I'll attend to it right now.

messymimi said...

I get up before dawn, and never lived on a farm. I wonder what neurochemical traces I have that cause it.

Uncooperative characters are a nuisance, so I wish you a miracle while you do what you can.

David Cranmer said...

Cornelia Read is a wonder. I've read Invisible Boy and also highly recommend it.

Leah J. Utas said...

The sun needs you, Messymimi.
Thanks. Good use of my words.

She sure is, David.

Writing Without Periods! said...

ah the character that one does not know...takes time. Love this post.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary, thanks. It sounds like you speak from experience.

David Barber said...

Your new character will blossom sooner than you think, Leah. Keep chipping away at her! I would be very interseted in reading your work based on the first 2 lines of your prologue.

Nice photo by the way.

Reb said...

Great lines and I agree with Laura, your description of her has to go into the book. Lovely photo.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks for your support, David.

Reb, I'm going to have to find a way to get it in. Thanks.